As a business owner or marketer, you don’t always have the time and resources to be on every social media platform and keep each constantly updated. The most important thing to do is to understand which social media platform is right for you, your goals and the needs of your customers. Here is a list of the most popular social media platforms and information that can help you decide which ones are best suited for your business.
- 2.2 billion monthly active users
- The most evenly-distributed demographics of any platform
Facebook is without doubt the best platform for increasing brand awareness. The fact that you have an audience of 2.2 billion people makes Facebook a must for your business.
- 330 million monthly active users
- Despite being well known, Twitter has failed to increase its users in the same way as Facebook and Instagram
One of the important things to note about Twitter is that users have a higher tendency to follow brands on there then they do on other platforms. Twitter, more than any other social media platform, is popular with in the moment developments. An example of this would be a train operator who can provide up to date details on developments that are happening such as delays. This is why Twitter is considered to be best for customer service response. If your business is based around things that are happening now, you need to be on Twitter.
- 1 billion monthly active users
- Instagram user base is skewed towards a younger demographic
- Instagram has a greater user engagement rate than Facebook and Twitter
The key factor for Instagram is the age demographics. If you are targeting a younger adult audience then Instagram is a must. Businesses that rely heavily on images such as fashion, technology, and restaurants should be on Instagram due to the fact it is an image based platform.
- 110 million monthly active users
- The average age of users is 28
- Although this platform has more than a billion profiles, only few are active on a regular basis
This platform is ideal for content sharing. It’s compatibility with YouTube and Hangouts should not be ignored. Each provide a way to make brand awareness and content marketing simpler.
- 200 million monthly active users
- The majority of users are female
With over 80% of users being female, this platform would be ideal for those whose business is aimed at the female audience. Another great platform for images, this would be useful for fashion, photographers, restaurants and other image focused businesses.
- 100 million monthly active users
- The majority of users are over 35
People use this platform to find business partners, jobs, and for business related networking. All businesses should now be present on LinkedIn as it’s the professional platform for people to engage with and discover your business.